Today we are so excited to speak with Samantha Ettus. Samantha is work-life expert whose goal is to find the spark within each one of us and turn it into a fire. In this episode Samantha talks about:
- Her book The Experts Guide to 100 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do. One hundred experts each wrote a chapter on their area of expertise. The book became a best seller and she went on to write three more “experts” books.
- The “elephant in the room” for women which is how to manage personal lives in conjunction with their professional lives.
- Don’t quit your job until you’re financially stable, especially if you have a family. Even for single women, it’s so critical that you are financially secure and stable before you take a leap.
- Your personal brand is like an octopus. You are the center of the octopus and then there are all these tentacles like books, speaking, hosting a podcast, hosting a show, whatever it is. Those are tentacles of that main octopus. When you think of it this way, these are distribution channels for your same message and your same mission.
- Choosing your platform: It has to be something you’re passionate about. It needs to be something you get up every morning excited to do.
- Live as though you are adhering to a train schedule. You work every day from 9-3 or whatever it is that works for you and your business. You have to watch those hours or you will watch them disappear.
Three tips on how to better manage our life versus work-life balance for more success.
- It’s important to choose a partner who will be your equal at home, instead of someone who expects you to do 90% of the work at home and with the children. Once you have a partner it’s about how you manage that relationship.
- How are you managing your time? Do all of your errands in the “golden triangle”. These are the three points in between your home, your office and your child’s school.
- Always make sure that your building your network continuously. Keep up with your industry, always making new contacts and keeping in touch with current ones. Staying relevant is critical.
Tips on how to become more productive:
If you have kids, it’s essential you have boundaries in terms of the time you’re with them and the time you’re focused on work. A lot of entrepreneurs who are working from home struggle with this. It’s hard when you have kids at home to close the door and focus on your work. It’s pivotal you have some kind of childcare or it’s almost impossible to get a business off the ground.
At home with your loved ones turn off your technology for a couple hours a day. You can give your office or colleague your home phone and say use it in an emergency.
Website: www.samanthaettus.com. You can sign up for her free weekly newsletter where she shares work-life balance tips and her favorite articles and videos about career and lifestyle.